Saturday, August 22

Fairbanks, Alaska

Our first day in Alaska! What a beautiful day - the weather was perfect (crisp and cold this morning, enough to see your own breath, and clear and pleasant all afternoon). After waking up to breakfast at the hotel, we decided to make the walk into the old downtown part of the city. The reception assured us it was a nice trail along the river and I agree but 3 1/2 miles later I'm not sure anyone else felt the same. I thought it was a great way to start off our trip to Alaska and our tour of the city. Once we finally made it downtown, we wandered around the old buildings and went to the visitor center. We had lunch at a cafe called "Soapy Smith's" and decided to rent a car for the rest of the afternoon. We drove out to the viewing platform of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. It is surprising how interesting it can be to look at a long piece of pipe! We spent several hours at the University of Alaska's Museum of the North before finally returning to the hotel for a brief rest. We had the best dinner and I even tried reindeer - not bad.

Tomorrow we are off to Denali National Park via the Alaska Railroad.

No comments: