Sunday, November 19

Cairo

Today's itinerary - the intense and bustling city of Cairo.  I don't remember what the first movie it was where I first saw the Egyptian Museum.  But this was the image of a great museum to me.  I've visited many of the world's most famous museums (British Museum, Louvre, Smithsonian, Vatican, The Met, Prado, Hermitage) but this is one I've been waiting to see.  Sadly, cameras are not allowed inside.  So this image came courtesy of google!
Visitors look at antiquities inside the Egyptian Museum near Tahrir Square in Cairo. The 111-year-old museum, a treasure trove of pharaonic antiquities, has long been one of the centerpieces of tourism to Egypt. But the constant instability since the 2011 uprising that toppled autocrat Hosni Mubarak has dried up tourism to the country.
Interior of Egyptian Museum, Cairo

Other stops on our Cairo city tour were no less impressive: Old Cairo, Citadel and Khan el Khalili Bazaar.

No comments: