Saturday, April 30

100 in the 100: Cucumber Gap Loop

In 2016 the National Park Service is celebrating it's 100th Anniversary and each of the parks are hosting special events and projects for the birthday.  If you hike 100 miles in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in 2016 you can earn a 100th Anniversary Pin to be presented in a ceremony in December.  Since I already started my mileage trying to get in shape for the Inca Trail, I thought the goal of 100 miles was much more manageable - plus I like a fun pin to celebrate the GSMNP!   So I have marked my calendar through early summer and made a list for the fall to reach the 100 mile mark.  And today I began with the easy Cucumber Gap Loop in the wonderful company of Amanda and Debby.


Trail Features:Stream, Wildflowers, HistoryCucumber Gap Loop
Trail Location:Elkmont
Roundtrip Length:5.6 Miles
Total Elevation Gain:830 Feet
Avg. Elev Gain / Mile:296 Feet
Highest Elevation:3055 Feet
Trail Difficulty Rating:7.26 (moderate)
Parking Lot Latitude35.65365
Parking Lot Longitude-83.58018


Amanda, Debby & I at the start of the trail


Painted Trillium

Little snail on the trail

1920s cabins all in such sad disrepair

No comments: