Friday, July 12

Day Off at the Pitt Rivers Museum & Port Meadow

We've had a very busy time here in Oxford these first two weeks of BSAO!  Today was the first day students did not have class and they were free to travel on their own for a long weekend.  I took advantage of the free day to do things in Oxford that I have not done in a few years.

Last summer it rained on a daily basis and it rained all day long (much like it is doing at home I hear!).  So... I never made it to walk through University Parks but this morning I started the day with a 3 mile walk through the Park.

After a great start to the day, I set off for the Natural History Museum which is home to the Pitt Rivers Museum.  We had a lecture yesterday on the man who created the original museum collection (Pitt-Rivers) and his unique approach to anthropology and the starting of a collection.  This is one of the coolest, craziest museums! I have visited years ago but they remodels a few years ago and I never made time to check it out.  Today I remedied that.

How can you go wrong with a museum that looks like this?

And that has a collection of shrunken heads?
The shrunken heads are on the far right
 Or Armour from all different periods?  And all different places?  They have a complete history of all kinds of weapons too...

And I have no idea what these are collections of...but it was fun to look at them!




No comments: