Monday, July 25

Derbyshire, Part 1 - Haddon Hall

This weekend we took nearly the entire group to the Derbyshire region of England to tour several great homes that relate to the period of British history we are studying this summer, "Britain in the Renaissance."  We went to four houses and stayed overnight at the University of Sheffield. 

Our first stop is one of my favorites. The last two times I have been to Haddon Hall it has been raining and while it is still wonderful, this year we had a wonderful day to explore the gardens.


We took packed meals and I sat in the garden to eat then explored the terraces (which have never been open when I have been here before). 

Haddon Hall is not owned by the family of the dukes of Rutland.  It was never modernised so it is so interesting inside.  There are medieval areas that date from the 14th and 15th centuries but my favorite room is the Long Gallery which dates from the late 16th to early 17th centuries. 




No comments: