| | | | | |
| Trail Features: | | Panoramic Views, history, geological |  | |
| Trail Location: | | Newfound Gap Road | |
| Roundtrip Length: | | 11.0 Miles | |
| Total Elevation Gain: | | 2763 Feet | |
| Avg. Elev Gain / Mile: | | 502 Feet | |
| Highest Elevation: | | 6593 Feet | |
| Trail Difficulty Rating: | | 16.53 (strenuous) | |
| Parking Lot Latitude | | 35.63014 | |
| Parking Lot Longitude | | -83.44936 | |
|
I successfully survived my first (and perhaps only) climb to the top of Mount LeConte. Thanks to Amanda's careful planning our group of 14 met at the parking lot at 7 AM, got a group picture then began the ascent!
 |
| At the start of the trail - fresh and ready to hike |
Many of the group members were friends of Amanda's or friend-of-a-friend so I didn't know many of them. Plus, I'm a little slower than most of the other hikers as well. But my small group (Bethany Ownby McCarter & Melanie Ownby) were in sync with one another and had a wonderful time enjoying the journey to the top! Jonas loved the fact that he was with the "fast group" at the front and beat his mom there but he walked back with us.
I can't say this is one of the most spectacular hikes I've done - it wasn't that interesting - but it was a great day of camaraderie, conversation, and I can now say I have climbed one of the most famous peaks in the GSMNP!
 |
| Rock Arch with Melanie, Bethany, Me & Amanda |
Rock Arch was the first significant sites along the trail. We had hiked in about 1.3 miles when we reached this cave-like structure we had to hike through. It was formed by water freezing and thawing and gradually eroding the softer rock beneath the harder rock that remains.
 |
| Rhododendrons in Bloom |
 |
| Beautiful Blooms |
For me, the prettiest part of the hike was the short section filled with Rhododendrons in bloom. It's usually a little early to see these in bloom, especially at this elevation, so this was a real treat.
 |
| Inspiration Point: Can you see the "hole" in the mountain? |
 |
| Inside Alum Cave |
We were not quite half-way up the mountain when we reached Alum Cave. I guess I'll show my ignorance that this is not actually a cave at all - I was surprised! It's actually a concave bluff that is about 80 feet high and 500 feet wide. For a short time, our group was back together.
 |
| Almost There |
And we made it! To the lodge at least... where we (over)paid for our very own 2016 LeConte shirt and proudly posed to prove the date on which we made the climb.
Some of the group went on out to High Point to say they made it to the very highest point but our little group saved our energy for the better view at Cliff Tops:
 |
| Amazing View over the Smokies from Cliff Top |
 |
| Panorama from Cliff Top |
No comments:
Post a Comment