| Trail Features: | Outstanding Views, History, Wildflowers | ||||
| Trail Location: | Greenbrier | ||||
| Roundtrip Length: | 11.7 Miles | ||||
| Total Elevation Gain: | 3000 Feet | ||||
| Avg. Elev Gain / Mile: | 513 Feet | ||||
| Highest Elevation: | 4937 Feet | ||||
| Trail Difficulty Rating: | 17.70 (strenuous) | ||||
| Parking Lot Latitude | 35.69696 | ||||
| Parking Lot Longitude | -83.38773 | ||||
Round 2 of the "Get in Shape for the Inca Trail" was a day hike up Brushy Mountain. It was a big step up from the 4 mile hike 2 weeks ago. I had a great time with my hiking companions:
| April Hurst Warren, Kariss Blalock Waite & Scott Waite |
The first 1.5 miles is pretty easy, then it get tough. At 3.5 miles I thought we were surely done. Then we hit the snow and fallen trees. I think we crossed about 5 tiny to small streams and we had to climb under 2 trees and over 3 large trees that covered the path. I have a lovely bruise on my leg where I hit a stump of a limb climbing over one set of trees on the way back down. But we were finally at the junction of multiple trails, just .2 miles from the top of Brushy (well, it was a little more and it was along a stream bed that was difficult to walk over and very muddy in parts):
| Me, Kariss & April at the trail junction |
Not a bad reward. It only took 2.5 hours to get back down. My legs felt like rubber but I was doing pretty good until the last half hour when my feet started hurting a little. After driving down from Greenbrier and home though I could barely climb the stairs to my apartment. I am in pain. It's 9.30 and I'm going to bed. Not sure how I survive 4 days in a row of this!
UPDATE: Three days later my calves are still sore but I'm not walking so funny. My sore feet went away with a good night's rest. My calves however.... Let's see, Saturday night I tried massaging my calves, elevating my legs, compression socks. Sunday morning I took a hot bath and more massaging just to make it to church. Believing the old adage that it helps to get back on the horse, Dad and I joined Alex, Sheena and Jagger for a 2 mile round trip walk along Sevierville's River Walk. And still I was walking funny all day yesterday. They laughed at me at the office - rightly so. But after more stretching and a good night's sleep, I can walk normally today...mostly.
No comments:
Post a Comment