Friday, January 24

On Safari

So I'm off on Safari!  You may ask, "What in the world are you doing?"  So I did a little research on what that means for me for the next two weeks:

According the Online Etymology Dictionary the English word 'safari' originated in the late 19th century.  The term originally comes from the Arabic word  safara, meaning 'a journey.'  It was first used as a foreign word in the English language in 1858.  The Arabic word found its way to East Africa where it was adapted to the Swahili verb kusafiri, meaning 'to travel' and the noun safari.  The English first used the Swahili word in 1860 as a foreign word, then adopted it for itself in dictionaries in 1890.  The legendary British explorer, Sir Richard Francis Burton is credited for introducing the word safari to the English language.*

So that's what I'm doing: Going on Safari... Travelling on a Journey!


*Definition found here: http://www.africanbudgetsafaris.com/blog/what-is-a-safari/

No comments: