Sunday, July 18

York

Back from the northeast of England and a fantastic trip!  To give full attention to all the amazing sites we visited this weekend, this will be the first of three installations on the trip.  For today, I'll focus on the beautiful city of York.

We arrived in York in time for dinner and we had a very good and very LONG dinner at an Italian restuarant along the Shambles.  It was so long, in fact, Michael Leslie had to leave to catch our bus to our lodgings at the University of York leaving myself and fellow traveller (and program tutor), Matt Symonds, to collect our dinner and make our own way to the accomodations.  And lest you think I exaggerate, it took nearly 2 hours to get our food!  The time did pass quickly with lots of fun conversation.  What did the wait mean for me?  I didn't have to witness the incompetence of the staff at the University in checking-in our group of 60.  Apparently they were extremely disorganized!

Following breakfast the next morning (where we had to attempt to cross the campus between all the graduates and their families), we spent a short time at York Minster.  I visited York 2 years ago for the first time and I love York Minster and I was excited to visit again:

Rather than repeat myself, if you want to know more, see more, of York Minster, please see my post here.  After spending the morning exploring the Minster, we took our lunch on the road and drove north, arriving at Steel Rigg to begin our exploration of Hadrian's Wall lead by Dr. Symonds, our Roman History tutor.  But for that, you must wait for Part 2 of the series!

No comments: