Tuesday, July 13

Ewelme

Today one of my favorite lecturers was at St. John's for a lecture on Architecture in the Medieval Period, John Goodall.  He holds the distinction of being one of the most lovely people I have known and brilliant as well.  This afternoon, despite the intermittent rain, we went with him to God's House at Ewelme.  It is a beautiful church in the country near Oxford that was built and endowed by Lady Alice de la Pol as an ancestral burial site for her family (she was granddaughter of Chaucer).  The Chantry Chapel in which her tomb resides is absolutely beautiful.  As John explained, it is a great work dedicated to the celebration of the name of Christ.

Ewelme

Left: John Goodall in the Chantry Chapel explaining the details of the room's decorations.                    Tomb of Lady Alice de la Pol                 Mike Leslie looking at the decoration inside the lower level of the tomb where Alice's cadaver is forever looking at a painting of the Annunciation.

I should point out that although I have included a few pictures in this and the previous post, the majority of the pictures I have taken are shown in the slideshow to the right of this column.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stefanie,
I viewed your journal today - looks like you are doing some fun things and learning a lot of history along the way - amazing photos. Thanks for sharing with those of us who cannot be with you. We miss you - stay safe..Love, Aunt Kay & Uncle Roger