Little River Trail
| Trail Features: | Stream, Wildflowers, History | ||||
| Trail Location: | Elkmont | ||||
| Roundtrip Length: | 4.9 Miles | ||||
| Total Elevation Gain: | 412 Feet | ||||
| Avg. Elev Gain / Mile: | 168 Feet | ||||
| Highest Elevation: | 2637 Feet | ||||
| Trail Difficulty Rating: | 5.72 (moderate) | ||||
| Parking Lot Latitude | 35.65365 | ||||
| Parking Lot Longitude | -83.58018 | ||||
In the spring as I was preparing for the Inca Trail I made a decision to hike 100 miles in the National Park in 2016 in celebration of the National Park Service's 100th Anniversary.
SUCCESS
I DID IT!! 100 miles hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in 2016 in celebration of the National Parks Service Centennial. As of today I have hiked 100.3 miles this year in the GSMNP (plus another 26 miles traversing the Andes to Machu Picchu) - what a feat considering the last time I had hiked the Smokies was 6 years ago. I have to say I am so proud of myself!
This hike was extra special because I took along Dad for my last few miles of the journey. With his back so out of sorts he's not been able to do much walking but this is a beautiful trail that has only a small incline and it is a wide, smooth path that travels along the river - just lovely. So Dad and I walked the first mile together then he found a seat to wait while I made the next mile and returned to pick him up for the last bit back.
Elkmont is such a lovely part of the park. We explored several of the summer homes left behind by the lumber company and we've decided it would be the perfect place to rent for a family gathering next year.
I did learn a few things as I hiked these hundred miles:
1. I don't love hiking for the sake of hiking - give me a view to see or a historical site to visit
2. Being in nature is better than challenging nature - I love enjoying God's creation; doing it out of breath and in pain is not enjoyment
3. I have a long list of hikes still to do in my Smokies!

No comments:
Post a Comment