I have had Thailand on my bucket list for some time but when it came time to actually visit Southeast Asia, my imagination was transfixed by an image I saw of Angkor Wat.
 |
| Main temple: Angkor Wat |
This was the initial reason why I picked this location and began this journey.
These temples were built between the 9th and 13th centuries when the Khmer empire was the pre-eminent influence in South-East Asia. The temples were believed to represent the cosmic world and were set in perfect balance, symmetry and composition. The intricately carved bas-reliefs and architectural designs are mind-blowing and there are spectacular photographic opportunities at any time of day - watching a sunrise or sunset is a must. The ruins are scattered over an area of some 160 sq km, but the main cluster of temples is close to Siem Reap so we'll have plenty of time to fully appreciate the great archaeological sites of Angkor Wat, the Bayon and the jungle-covered Ta Prohm.
The temples of Angkor Wat was the reason I chose this part of the world and it more than met my expectations (which were exceedingly high). Two days of touring the temples was just not enough. Most people get "templed out" and one day is more than enough. Not me. But after I share way too many pictures of ALL SIX TEMPLES we visited, you may be "templed out" yourself!
No comments:
Post a Comment