Wednesday, August 1

Cruising Lake Geneva

Before my train to Paris I had a few hours to explore Geneva in more depth.  With Caroline joining the students from BSAO, I was on my own so I decided to begin with a boat cruise on Lake Geneva.  For 15 Swiss franc (approximately $15) I cruised along the lake for over an hour seeing many of the sights from the boat.  Among the highlights were a closer look at Jet d'eau:
The fountain shoots 500 litres of water per second to a height of 140 meters, at a speed of 200 kilometres per hour. The column of water weighs 8 tons!

Chateau de Bellerive (built in the 17C for the Duke of Savoy) and the Little Mermaid of Lake Geneva

At top: Chaeau Rothschild (1858-60) - current home of Baron Edmond de Rothschild and will be given to City of Geneva upon his death

Palais Wilson: a luxury hotel built in the 1870s which became headquarters of the League of Nations from 1919/20 until it was dissolved on 18 April 1946.  It is now the site of the UN's Commission for Human Rights.

View of Geneva with St. Peter's Cathedral in the center

No comments: