After a quick but fun trip to Memphis I am home again! I took the opportunity to visit friends from Rhodes (including a few from my undergrad days!) and to catch up with British Studies At Oxford. I spent Saturday afternoon catching up with a dear friend before checking into my hotel and heading to Professor Mike Leslie's home. As Dean of British Studies At Oxford he was coordinating the performance of the choir Alamire and to welcome Alamire to Memphis, he graciously hosted (along with his wife and daughter) a dinner party. It was a wonderful evening, of which I spent most of my time in the corner catching up with Mary Allie, my lovely friend from my first summers at Oxford, who has since retired.
I spent a lazy Sunday morning watching the morning news shows before attending services at Bellevue Baptist and then wondering through an exhibit at the Memphis Brooks Museum on Quilts. (It was very inspiring). At 2 I met my friend Amanda for the performance of Alamire at St. Peter's Catholic Church in downtown Memphis. For two hours we were treated to a beautiful performance of music written by and for King Henry VIII of England and the music his Reformation inspired. Alamire is directed by David Skinner who has taught numerous times for British Studies At Oxford. Their current recording was commissioned by the British Library and various tv companies. The music was selected to provide and record the music for exhibitions and commemorative events celebrating the accession of Henry VIII to the throne of England in 1509.
To top it all off, on my way home from Memphis I stopped and visited with Amy! It was a quick but really nice trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment