Old Sugarlands Trail
| | | | | |
| Trail Features: | | History, River |  | |
| Trail Location: | | Newfound Gap Road | |
| One-Way Length: | | 7.6 Miles | |
| Total Elevation Gain: | | 1345 Feet | |
| Avg. Elev Gain / Mile: | | --- Feet | |
| Highest Elevation: | | --- Feet | |
| Trail Difficulty Rating: | | 9.18 (moderate) | |
|
|
|
|
|
|
I was very excited to begin this trail. Jeff & Beverly Murrell recommended it and I love trails with historical interest. This is a wide trail that follows the logging road and is well maintained. Mostly I was excited to see the old CCC camp and some of the remaining abandoned structure that are still in place.
There were not many people on the trail as I finally found the right pull off on the side of the road (on the left just before the Sugarlands Visitor Center) and set off. It's a really pleasant walk the first 1.6 miles which is the distance to the Civilian Conservation Corp camp.
 |
| Fireplace is the biggest piece left of the CCC camp |
I was just getting ready to start the incline portion of the hike, just strolling along all by myself when I looked up and saw a huge black bear. I'm not sure which of us was the most surprised. I certainly was. He was too as he quickly turned and made his way back the way he came - unfortunately for me it was up the trail where I was headed. I thought for a moment and decided that I didn't have any interest in following a huge black bear up the mountain by myself. So I turned around and headed back! I think it was the right decision. And I still had a nice walk in the woods.
No comments:
Post a Comment