Sunday, January 3

Warning: Challenging Adventure Ahead

I cannot really believe that I have booked my next vacation and it is a four day backpacking trip through the Andes Mountains.  What was I thinking? I'm still not sure but I believe it was something like, "when else in your life will you ever a) get this opportunity and b) you will only be in worse physical shape later on so do it now."

So April 7th I depart for Peru (it's in the same time zone so you wouldn't think it would be so difficult to get there but it is - 3 flights and 19 hours each way) and after 4 days to acclimate to the altitude, I start my hike along the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.  Maybe it's a mid-life crisis?  But they say it's all in the attitude so I'm thinking positively.  Maybe I should download a little Gloria Gaynor, "I will survive"!  It's 46km in 4 four days with day two described in numerous blogs as 6 hours on a stair stepper.  Training starts now.


No comments: