Friday, February 7

My Journey to Africa Part 5: Zanzibar's Beaches

After a day and night in Stone Town, it was time for the beach!

A small group of us signed up for swimming with wild dolphins at Kizimkani, just off the southern coast of the island.  I can't say I actually swam with any dolphins.  There were dolphins and I did swim, badly.  Mostly, I just proved to myself that I cannot snorkel.  At all.  But it was a beautiful beach, fun friends, a gorgeous boat ride and dolphins all around.  Not a bad way to spend the morning...
View of the Beach where we set sail

Me & Bec after our morning with the dolphins
After a lovely lunch of spiced rice (pilau) and grilled tuna steak, we set off for the northern beaches of Nungwi.  We had a relaxing afternoon lounging around at our beautiful beach side resort:
Mine & Kirsten's room
Cath & Phoebe in the outdoor restaurant/ lounge
 
Dinner on the beach
The next morning I had signed up for snorkeling but given my abject failure plus the long day in the sun with no shade (they came back burned to a crisp), I opted for a day relaxing on the beach.  After an early morning breakfast of fresh fruits and boiled eggs, passion fruit juice and tea, I slowly made my way to the beach:
Great morning with Silvia, Chrisof, Eva, Me & Bec
 The afternoon was spent with hair styling lessons:

Bec with her newly tied hair scarf
 And hair braids:
Cath (and Phoebe in the back) getting their hair braided on the beach.
You could also get a massage, mani/pedi, or waxing at their little booth.
 After a late lunch I took a walk down the beautiful beach:

Since it was our last night as a group on Zanzibar, we took a two hour boat ride on a traditional dhow boat.  I got a little sea sick..
Karissa & Bec

Stu, Me & Karissa

Kev
Zanzibar was truly a great way to end My Journey To Africa!

No comments: