Friday, October 8

Visiting Sevier County

This past weekend I had a great time with a visit from my friend Craig.  I met Craig when I first began working for the summer program, British Studies At Oxford.  He teaches history two out of every four year cycle.  Two years ago, he was kind enough to host me in York, England where he lives and teaches.  It was a wonderful visit and I was so excited to be able to reciprocate the hospitality, to visit with a great friend, and to show off the beauty and kindness of East Tennessee.  Of course it rained.  It wouldn't be the Smoky Mountains without variable weather patterns.  On the other hand, Cades Cove Loop is much easier to get around in October with a little drizzle.  In a very short visit we packed in Cades Cove Loop, Newfound Gap overlook, Dollywood including all the roller coasters, Craig buying cowboy boots at Stages West, Metcalf Bottoms, Sugarlands, Laurel Falls Trail, Clingman's Dome covered in snow, and Newfound Gap again (48 hours later it was sunny).  Not to mention the food.  Let's see, I think I forced him to try, fried apple pies, funnelcakes, fresh apple cider, pumpkin cookies, country ham biscuits, chicken and dumplins, and fried okra.  We saved grits for the next trip!

Sooo.... For those of you who have never deigned to visit me because you think I live in the middle of nowhere and for those of you who have dreamed of visiting me but have never had the chance, here is a taste of what a visit to Sevierville can include!



*Photo Credit: All of the Dollywood pictures and about half from the park are courtesy of Craig!

No comments: