Friday, December 25

Quiltmaking

This Christmas was all about quilts once again but, I think, in a very different way. Last year when I made the quilts for me, Ashley & Alex, I saw a picture of a Victorian Crazy Quilt and I fell in love! I thought it was the most interesting and creative item - a beautiful piece of art - and I set out to make one for Dad. I used more scraps of fabric from my Mother's clothes and decorated the squares with family monograms and birthdays, wedding anniversaries and favorites like butterflies, pretty blue flowers and a nice cup of tea along with the traditional motifs of fans, spider webs and horseshoes. My original idea of a large afghan size quilt quickly shrunck but I think the project was wonderful for a wall-hanging. I just wanted to share the results (in the form of Dad's Christmas gift from me):









Another special quilt project for Christmas 2009 were quilts for me, Ashley & Alex from Mom. Last year when I was trying to figure out "how do you make a quilt?" I found three complete quilt tops in Mom's sewing room. They were obviously made in the early 80s based on the prominent featuring of the Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake and after talking with family in NC we narrowed it down to 1983 or 1984. And there was one for each of us: red for me, blue for Ashley, and green for Alex - Mom alway assigned us those colors. For a Christmas surprise (at least for the boys) Dad had them professionally quilted for us - a really special treat!

No comments: